Monday, March 9, 2009

Kind of New Singer

So yesterday I applied for an internship at Atlantic Records for the summer...everyone cross your fingers for me. But I decided to look at their new artists and I saw Ms. ANYA MARINA. 
                                                                      
I don't even really know how to describe her, but she kinda whispers while singing or maybe she just likes being quiet but it's not in an awkward way. It's like a little girl singing, but it actually sounds ok. I kind of wish she would open her mouth a little more when she sang, but maybe that's just because my music teacher (shout out to Wags!) always forced us to round your ohhs and have perfect mouth formation...if that makes sense to you guys. She came out with her first songs in 2005, but I don't think she was signed till recently.
You may have heard her song  "Miss Halfway" on Grey's or seen her in RollingStone's January issue.
So I kept on trying to find things about her and ran into this great video on Paste magazine's website.Brace yourself for this one.....a cover of T.I.'s "Whatever You Like." I don't know if it was Atlantic Records' idea because both are signed under them or if it was hers. I don't know if it's because I'm used to T.I. doing it or maybe I'm not open minded, but I can't take it seriously. I mean it's done very well and it's pretty sweet how she converted a rap song to acoustic guitar, but I dunno. Is it brillant? or is it funny? Please check it out. I don't think you'll regret it.

No comments: