Tuesday, March 10, 2009

I Take It Back

After watching some good late night shows and searching for music these couple of days, I take back the idea that there aren't a lot of talented women out there. I have run across soo many this week. I think the music gods were out there trying to show me I'm wrong. So now I'm thinkin there's a lack of male singers...not rappers or pop singers. I'm talking about real singers who make their own music with instruments you can hold and carry. But after this is posted I bet I'll find some singers. But that's also ok with me. But the one thing I have noticed is that most of them are all from other countries...cmon U.S. where's all the good singers?
So here's who I found/remembered about:
1. Lykke Li. 
-She was on Carson Daly last night. I know I've mentioned her before. You should listen to her "Youth Novels" cd. It's great. She has a pretty great story too. From what I understand she was in NYC for a year and then her visa ran out and was sent back to Sweden where she self-produced her kickass cd. She was also discovered mostly by her youtube clips. Her sound is a little different then your belting-out-love songs, but I like. She gives it her all when she performs. I personally think she sounds better at her performances. I think Itunes has her under the pop genre, but I don't think I'd really classify her under that. Last night she said she just wants people to be open to her so she can explore all kinds of music. Her sound is like that little kid sound..sorry to use that again but I don't know how else to describe it. I guess that just means you should check it out..haha.She's done some pretty sweet collabs already...like Drake, Kanye, and she was asked to do a remix for Kings of Leon (which turned out awesome).  All around she seems like a really sweet girl who's working her butt off to bring the U.S. some great music. She will be performing at Coachella, so watch out for that too.
Here's "A Little Bit" from last night's show...it's my fav.

2. Melanie Fiona
-So I originally found a song by her on hotnewhiphop.com but then I kept seeing her everywhere else I was looking for music. I think she kind of sounds like a combo of Jazmine Sullivan and Jennifer Hudson, but that's just my opinion.  She's R&B with hip hop beats and a lil reggae thrown in there for fun. She was on Carson Daly recently too. (Pretty sure Carson is trying to get back respect from all those years of showing pop artists by showing truly talented artists) 

3. Kate Nash
-She's not new, but I just wanted to bring her up. She's only like 4 months older than me and that blows me away. She's an English singer. I would definitely put her under pop, but I would say that doesn't bother me. I like her because her lyrics are so blunt and funny at times.

4.Feist
-She's from Canada. I just love Feist point blank. The "Open Season: Remixes and Collabs" are pretty sweet too. She's good to listen to on a rainy day or when you just want to chill. This video is a little more rockish than on the cd though.

5. Little Boots
- I first heard about her on Kid Cudi's blog because she did a version of "Day n Nite" on the keyboard and it was pretty good. But then she was on Carson too....crazy. She's from London. A lot of her stuff is done in her bedroom. Some is more techno, but then she has some with the keyboard.

No comments: