Friday, March 6, 2009

Ain't No Sunshine

Since everyone is gone for Spring Break and I'm still here and it's cloudy outside, I want to talk about the song "Ain't No Sunshine."
This may seem a little depressing if you actually listen to the words, but I like it.
It was originally done by Bill Withers and then covered by many. I think most people may think that Al Green was the original singer, but sorry you're wrong. 
I tried to paste in the list of interesting covers, but for some reason it wouldn't let me. Check it out on wikipedia. The list includes DMX. Now that's a special one. Pretty sure Withers wasn't expecting someone to add in the n word to his song. The list also includes some of my favs like Justin Nozuka and Emily King.
The song is also ranked 280th on the RollingStones Top 500 Songs of All Time. This is probably why it's been performed on American Idol so many times. 
Well I personally love the Emily King version, but I've only heard a couple of the covers sooo....
But here are two videos for you viewing pleasure. Again, sorry if this is a debbie downer, but sometimes you just have to appreciate the depressing songs.


No comments: