Monday, March 2, 2009

Great Conversation

Right now I have this urge to write even though I have a lot of reading to do for a class, but seeing as I'm freezing, tired, and a little lazy, I'm definitely going to write about something other than what I intended to write about today. Last night I had some great words with a friend and I thought I'd enlighten everyone. ha
First, I would just like to reflect on the coldness of Syracuse right now. It is brick outside. I whipped out my real winter jacket and if you know me that is just unheard of. I would just like to reflect on songs that are about coldness for a bit.
1. It's Cold Outside- good ole bing. If you pay attention to the lyrics it definitely is about rape or it alludes to it.
2.Refuge (When It's Cold Outside)- my lover john. :) Now I'd be happy if he sang this to me especially since it's always cold here.
3. Coldest Winter- Kanye. I know he's not literally saying it's cold out, but I'm a Kanye fan so I had to reference it.
4. Cold Beverage- G. Love. Sometimes cold things are ok...like a nice drink.
5. In the Cold, Cold Night- White Stripes. 
6.Cold as Ice- Foreigner. Oh what a great old rock song.
OK done with that randomness. Onto my great convo.
First topic: Grey Album
So my friend was downloading jaydiohead, thanks to this blog, and was like hey you remember the grey album? And i was like oh my goodness I totally forgot about it, but yes. (Now that just sounds ridiculous because of the "likes" but it was a brief moment of epiphany) I think I may like jaydiohead a little more, but one can never go wrong with the beatles and jay-z so the grey album is definitely still good. You should listen to it if you haven't because DJ Danger Mouse and the jaydiohead guy used some same songs to make their beautiful or eargasmic , as some would say, combinations.
Second topic: The Roots Rising Down album
Definitely a good cd. Wale (who I intended to post about today but was too lazy to go into detail about) is featured on one of the songs and I definitely didn't realize it. Also check out "Birthday Girl." It's kinda creepy, but catchy at the same time.
Third topic: Kanye
So I was asked about my opinion of Kanye. And the convo went like this (hopefully you don't mind me posting this, if not let me know and I'll just paraphrase):


kt: i personally kinda love him. I think the whole thing about auto-tune is a lil crazy because he can't sing but it really didn't help him. i think his lyrics are genius and he's definitely a great producer

the more i read about him too i feel like he's changed a lot

and i feel like i understand more about his rashness of ego

j:really?

kt:i'm not saying he's the best out there

but he's good

j:i miss him

i want collge dropout and late registration kanye back

graduation was...ok

but not up to par with the previous two

kt:this is true

he's definitely trying to evolve more with culture though

like right now i feel like people want r&b

j:yea i get that, but damn, start rapping again

why do you think people want more r&b these days?

kt:i dunno man. i just have that inner feeling. People are more and more about sex and r&b is like damn i can play that will gettin it in. it's like goin back to the days of boyz II men

but then you do have more rappers coming out that do both so there is hope

j:that makes sense

total sense

but i really hope rap comes back like it was

r&b is cool, but everybody is gonna try to do it

a lot of people tried to rap

and the bad rappers, just got shunned, cuz people know its bad

but for some reason

when someone who cant sing, tries to sing

kt: people love it

everyone loves it.

kt:and i want to slap them

meee tooooo


So there's some of my great convo. Then I had abruptly had to go take pictures..ughh. Totally ruined the moment. Hope everyone is having a great day and if you're somewhere where it's cold, I feel for you. Get some hot cocoa, lay in bed, and listen to some good ole music.



No comments: