Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Great Interview: LeVar Thomas

I just want to thank all those new social networking sites because without them I would have never found LeVar Thomas. Some interviewers label him as a southern crooner or a southern gentleman, but honestly why focus on these when his music is so good. Let's focus on his love for music and why he hasn't been signed yet. This man has been working hard on his dream of being a singer on and off for 17 years. You may ask why, but just listen to his music and you'll find out. His voice is soothing, smooth, soulful, and his lyrics actually mean something. He's not just your entertainer like most "singers" out there. He actually has God-given talent. So let's take a look into his view on things.


How's your day going?

My day’s going well.  Thanks for taking the time to interview me.

You've been involved in music you're whole life, from church choir, to school choirs and a solo career in Atlanta and now in NY. Where did you get the best music experience? Where did you learn the most?

I learned the most in church choir.  I learned to solo better because if the feeling was right, you’d have to ad lib another verse to keep the feeling going.  I also learned harmonies and vocal blending singing with the rest of the choir.Atlanta would be my best musical experience. I’ve learned a lot in NYC about the business side of the industry but I found myself as an artist in Atlanta.  I performed solo and on stage with friends, laid down my first tracks and started to gain a fanbase.
If you could be signed under any label what would it be and why?

I would love to be signed with Motown/Universal.  Motown has always been a stand up label and has represented some of the most prolific artists.  They also seem to let the artist be who they are and continue to develop.  Beside’s what other label can be classified as it’s own genre. But I’m open!
You're definitely a soul singer. What draws you to this genre?

Has to be my upbringing.  I think my voice lends itself to soul and I was born in a family who loves Soul and Gospel genres. I love and listen to a lot of it too.  My best memories were with the whole family at a cook out with the music blaring some Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson, Whitney Houston and Levert.
What other genres do you enjoy listening to and what ones would you never listen to?
I dig Rock and Pop genres too.  I listen to Linkin Park and artists like Journey, Fleetwood Mac, Cyndi Lauper and even some Pink Floyd.  I can honestly say my ears have not embraced Metal music though. LOL.
What are your favorite 5 songs right now?
Most of the time I’m listening to old school but my favorite songs in rotation now are.
Lions And Tigers & Bears - Jazmine Sullivan
Turning Me On By ft. Lil Wayne – Keri Hilson
She Loves Everybody – Chester French
Rockin That Thang – The-Dream
Love, Sex and Magic ft. JT – Ciara
What is your favorite song that you've written and why? 

That’s a tough choice for me. I feel that I grow from song to song.  I hold "Ain’t So Bad" and "Missing You" close.  "Ain’t So Bad" was the fist song I wrote that I could envision spinning on the radio. "Missing You" is a fan favorite and I wrote it from a sincere place and so many people seem to connect with it.
If you could improve your music in any way how would you do so or are you a perfectionist and everything is right for you?...not saying that you need to at all because it's beautiful. 

There is always something else I would like to add or take away after I’ve recorded a song.  I’ve been recording and mixing my own songs and I want to be better at mixing. My technique is to record a lot then edit. In the end I’m pretty satisfied with the songs or I don’t release them.
I've seen that you're a big Luther Vandross and Stevie Wonder fan. Do you think any artists out there today are influential to your music like them or on any level?

There are several artists keeping it real.  Anthony Hamilton, Erykah Badu, Raheem DeVaughn and Jazmine Sullivan to name a few who are reminiscent of classic soul artists.
I’m inspired by artists like them because they sing songs that are not the status quo and do well in an industry where R&B is losing it’s soulful element.
You write, record, and mix all your own songs right? If so can you go through the process of how you make a song? Do you lay down a beat first or do you focus on the lyrics first?

I write and record my songs but I work with producers worldwide on the beats.  I’ve worked with producers in the U.S.,Germany, Sweden and Canada. They’ll usually send beats they think might work for me and I vibe to the tracks in my headphones with my mic on.  A lot of times there’s an instant spark and other times, I have to vibe a little longer.  If I can vibe to the beat, I write or type out the lyrics and make sure they fit the melody by laying down a rough demo.  After I’ve finished that, I listen back, edit and then put my game face on to record the final vocal.  After recording I do some mixing in Protools and voila!  New music from LeVar Thomas!
For all the other aspiring singers, what outlet has been the best to help further your career: Myspace, Imeem, youtube, your website, etc..?

I’m fond of them all, I’ve made great friends on most of the networks I’m a part of.  I definitely have to give props to Myspace and Youtube.  Myspace  and Youtube were the first places I showcased my music. I was able to get back honest feedback from fans  going in-depth on how they related to my songs.  It was great! I’ve been active on Twitter for a short while but I look forward to tweeting daily.  You get to see how much you have in common with people, share new music and photos and get a feedback right away. It really helps you stay in the loop.  I encourage any other aspiring singers to take advantage of the networking sites.  You gotta be in the game to win it so you need some representation of yourself online.  

I read that there was a debacle with your Myspace that I've never heard of happening before. Will you describe it again for these readers? 

The debacle was actually at Youtube.  I had built up my vazwell account with original songs, I had some Editor’s Picks and Awards and around 18,000 subscribers.  I would invite as many people as I could within the daily limits.  Some of the users who subscribed complained of spam because when I’d release a new song, win a contest and different other milestones, I’d share.  I did get complaints from people about the amount of mail but I asked them to unsubscribe if they didn’t want news from me.  Some complained to Youtube and my account was cancelled for spamming.  I emailed to get the full story and asked to be reinstated but received no answer. I’ve started two new accounts since then.  Even longer story. My current account is www.youtube.com/LevarThomasMusic.
If you could do anything else in life what would you do?

Since I was old enough to pick a career for myself, it has been music and I hadn’t really thought much of anything else. Maybe a music teacher…lol. I don’t know.  Something that gives back to society.
How's the search for a publishing deal going?

It’s not going as expected but I’m living and learning.  When you ask successful people how they got ahead there is always one similarity.  Persistence! There’s always another way to get in and I’m searching all avenues.  I’m getting really good feedback from some insiders and producers I work with and I’m hopeful.  This economic crunch is taking a toll on all industries, music industry included.  Everyone is being careful and making it work with what they have.  The response from fans of my music, let me know that there’s a market for what I write.  Someone’s taking notice.
You've said that you wouldn't mind working with other artists if it meant having music in your life, so which artist would you most like to have sing your songs or work with?
I have songs in my catalog that I feel would work for lots of artists on the scene now.  I would be very happy if I could get Stevie Wonder, Anthony Hamilton or Beyonce on one of my tracks.
How did you land the deal with jamster and the ringtones?
I’ve been with Jamster/Jamba/Fox Mobile for 2 years now.  A friend of mine, Shane Breen, who’s been helping from the beginning emailed them. He asked what the submission process was.  I sent in a demo CD and they liked what they heard. They later asked me to sign a worldwide ringtone distribution deal.  I just renewed with them this month for another year! Yay!

I found you through soul-method on twitter. Can you describe your involvement with them?
Soul Method is a company I started a couple years ago.  I’m working on building it as a business with a few associates.  Two other songwriters, a producer, an internet guru and myself  are discussing possible ways to expand. 
Is there anything else you are dying to let the world know about yourself right now?
I’m pretty much an open book. I recently got an iPhone 3G and my world is forever changed.  Now I can tweet on the run, in the studio, at lunch. Follow me on Twitter: @LeVarThomas


Hopefully this intrigued you a little bit to go find him in cyber-world. He seems pretty open to comments, interviews, and just a conversation (Hell, he agreed to do an interview with me). Check his website www.levarthomas.com out. He has past interviews posted, a guestbook, photos, and continuous music playing in the background. Let's get his name out there. 


Thanks again for the interview LeVar!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great interview.

Anonymous said...

I went to high school with this dude and he is truly a AWESOME GUY with an ANGELIC VOICE! Congrats to you Var. The Lord has truly blessed you and remain steadfast in your journey! Blessings to you!