Thursday, February 26, 2009

Where Has All the Female Talent Gone?

So I've come to the conclusion that there is a lack of good female artists these days. In the late 80s and 90s we had Whitney Houston, Celine Dion (wow can't believe I'm writing about her), Mariah Carey, and Christina (before she went through all her weird stages). Some may question these women, but lets face it they can sing their butts off. Now who do we have? I mean yes, there is Beyonce, but she got her start from being in a girl group. And there are a lot of people out there who do not like her (anyone see Chelsea Lately the other night?). Britney is a definite no. I mean she fully capitalizes on the use of Auto-tune for sure. Then you have the occasional song from Ciara where she can kinda sing, but then she doesn't really give me that girly vibe that the old ladies gave me. There's Keri Hilson who does surprise me at times. Her litte oooh and ahhs in turn me on do make me cringe and want to mute the song though, but all around she's ok. 
If you want to look in other genres there's Vanessa Hudgens and all those Disney girls. Which I don't even really want to get into because that can be a whole other post. All I have to say is, who writes a song about their sneakers and going out for the night? If you don't know what I'm talking about click here and you will understand the horror.
Sometimes I sit and listen to the radio and think to myself maybe I should become a singer. I'm not saying I have a great voice, but if Cassie, Britney, Miley Cyrus, etc can be successful why can't I? I can actually read music and can tell when I'm off key and fix it.Woah what a shocker right? 
Anyway...On the brighter side we do have Alicia Keys. Now there is a talented female. I have respect for anyone who can play the piano. Then you add her voice and range on top of that. woahhh! I'm a lifelong fan. I just wish she'd come out with something new or maybe collaborate with more people. There has to be tons of artists who want to.
The females that stick in my mind that are brand spanking new and good  are Adele, Emily King, and Janelle Monae. I don't even think a lot of people know who these women are. 

Adele is a Brit with an an amazing voice. It's sexy, guttural (i don't even know if that's the right word I was going for), and with a tint of accent. I'm pretty sure no American can duplicate it. If you haven't heard her click here or here for my favorite songs. 
Emily King is from New York. I don't know if she's all that new, but I only found her at the beginning of the school year. I love her because she has an old jazz flair, but with new upbeat feel to it. Close your eyes when you listen to her because her voice definitely doesn't match her look and I love that about her. I frequently belt out to her songs when I'm alone. She actually has collaborated with Lupe so you know she's going places. Listen to her right here.
Janelle Monae is a little different, but everyone needs a lil spice in their life. She is linked to OutKast if that tells you anything. She has this futuristic voice that is masculine at times, but then switches to a classic female voice. I don't think I've really ever heard any other female that sounds like her. My favorite songs are this and  Mr. President, but I can't find it on youtube. If you're interested let me know and I'll send it to you
Well there's my midnight rant. If you can show me more talented females I'm game. I want more songs that I can belt along with that are actually meant for women to sing.

No comments: